These storage pieces are a great way to inject your personal style into your home-work zone. Note that flat letter-sized trays are just as helpful for paperwork organization at home as they are at your place of business. If your walk-in closet has windows, consider how much life houseplants can bring to an office. Not only do they look beautiful, they add oxygen to the space and can be relatively low-maintenance. You can even place your desk beneath your window to provide a beautiful view and literally put your clothes storage behind you.
- If so, give the team at AHT Interiors a call; we offer DIY In-Home Design Consultations in addition to full-service interior design.
- If you’re not keen on rewiring the inside of the closet, puck lights would be a good option.
- Additionally, a closet office can be easily concealed by closing the doors when not in use, helping maintain a tidy and organized living area.
- Most closets have hidden pockets on each side, and we love how this IG-er made use of the extra space.
- This will allow you to store all of your important papers in one place and keep them organized.
“I would have to say that it’s much easier to do than it looks,” she says. In Allard’s home, this small closet is actually within a bigger closet designed by California Closets’ Kate Kim. “Kate really loved my idea of turning the small closet into a vanity space and brought it to life by adding the desk and overhead shelving,” she explains.
Should I convert my walk in closet into an office?
When your lease is up, simply take them down and take them with you. Ideally, you could create a functional space with something as inexpensive as a hideaway Murphy desk and a chair you already have lying around the house for $100 or less. Next up, you’ll want to add a little light and air to the space to make it feel less stuffy. Here are a few fun and easy ways to spruce up your new closet workspace to make it feel less, well, like a closet.
When he’s not helping others achieve their work goals, Carl enjoys spending time with his family and exploring new places. Add or replace overhead lights with pot lights for good lighting. Accessorize your desk with a lovely lamp, stackable storage containers, and a pen cup.
Go Doorless to Show Off Your Space
It needs to fit exactly wall to wall to be properly supported by the 2×4 studs you installed in the previous step. Since the desktop will be very heavy, you will need to attach the supports directly into the studs. Using your stud finder, find and mark all studs slightly above where you will hang the supports. Once you have your moulding cut down to size, you are ready to hang!
- Accessorize your desk with a lovely lamp, stackable storage containers, and a pen cup.
- If you want to DIY your closet office, your local home improvement store offers hundreds of easy-to-install shelving solutions.
- This way, you can easily access the items whenever you need them, without cluttering up your desktop.
- Desktop monitors are notoriously bulky, especially widescreen ones.
As trendy as it is functional, the built-in closet office can be undertaken in a number of ways, no matter the size or style of the closet. Remember to install an electrical outlet in your closet if you’ll be using it as a home office. Plan to hire an electrician to add one before moving your desk inside. If this isn’t possible, consider running an extension cord into the closet from a nearby outlet, Patterson suggests. „It will often fit under the door and can be held in place with Command hooks,“ she says.
Ways to Turn Your Closet into an Office
Closets located in living areas also transform easily into stylish office nooks. Even if you currently use these spaces for storage, it’s not difficult to find another place for the contents of an under-used pantry, coat closet, or linen closet. Groceries can be moved into kitchen cabinets, guests’ coats can be hung on a coat rack, and linens can be stacked in baskets on bathroom shelves. These closet office ideas displayed below are proof of man’s brilliance when tasked with a seemingly insurmountable conundrum. If you find yourself with a spare or unused closet, why not convert it into a serviceable office space?
Measure the distance from the bottom of the horizontal boards and the top of the desk to get the length of the top pieces. Once you have those measurements, I would remove the desk from the closet. To get the length of the bottom pieces, measure from the top of the baseboards to the bottom of the desk supports. Pegboards are another fun and creative way to create more space. You can add these boards on walls and doors to create flexible storage space for whatever you need.
Bulletin Board Sizes (Standard Home, Office & School Size)
Since not everyone has enough rooms or empty closets, a great option is to combine the walk-in closet and office space. With some creativity and planning, these walk-in closet offices can be transformed into a functional and productive private working space. LED light strips installed beneath shelves or cabinets are a great way to illuminate your work surface without adding a visible light fixture.
- If you go to sell, will your customized closet hack resonate with prospective buyers?
- Some closet spaces may feel tight or awkward in shape, but where there’s a will, there’s a way.
- Just because your mini office can easily be hidden behind a door, doesn’t mean you have to.
- Display framed photos, carry your home’s color palette throughout and make it a space you’re proud to display.
Before, we had cords everywhere, two big monitors and a tower blocking the window, and just an overall messy look. Now, all of the cords are organized and tucked away, the tower is hidden behind the closet wall, and the space feels tidy and sophisticated. In addition to how we installed the DIY board & batten and floating desk, I wanted to share some of the details and life hacks we used to make this space pretty and functional. Once you have the horizontal lattice moulding in place, cut and hang the supports for the desk.
Only convert a closet if you already have ample closet space.
Custom-designed kids’ closets and workspaces were in high demand last year. Now in 2021, the at-home office is getting a bit of a makeover. Many individuals working from home are embracing the fact that https://remotemode.net/blog/tips-for-converting-your-closet-to-a-cozy-office/ having a custom-built home office is a good addition to their lifestyle. Good lighting is essential for a productive workspace, so consider installing new light fixtures to brighten up a dim closet.
- The basic setup requires a desktop surface, storage, and a chair or stool, which can all easily fit inside a reach-in bedroom closet or a linen closet in the hallway.
- A dedicated home office, even if it’s just a tiny nook, has been directly linked to productivity in several studies.
- To add light without rewiring, attach battery-operated puck lights on the ceiling or the undersides of shelves above the desk.
No one wants to plug away in a dark corner, so do yourself a favor and consider adding some additional lighting. If your closet is really narrow, it could be difficult to fit a full-size desk in it. Rather than have https://remotemode.net/ an ill-fitting desk, install a series of strategically placed shelves. This particular setup leaves plenty of room for storage, and a single shelf at hip height makes for the perfect computer desk and work space.
Some shelf lights or under-cabinet lights might also help in illuminating your desk. Read more about our guide on the different types of lighting fixtures here. Go for devices that have multiple functions and they don’t always necessarily have to be in your office space unless you have a need for them, which isn’t always every day. See more related content about setting up a home office for remote work on this page. Next, you need to take measurements of the office tools and supplies you often use that you would have to fit into the space. You can cut paper templates out or measure outer edges with a pencil just so that you have visual markers of where you need to be.
Can you turn a closet into an office?
The best thing about turning a closet into an office, or “cloffice,” is that when you don't feel like thinking about work, you can just shut the your doors and hide it from view. Here's some small-office design inspiration, and tips to help you get started. Have your own great office-in-a-closet?